Freitag, 26. November 2010

A Requiem For Gregory John McCormick

A Requiem For Gregory John McCormic (demo) by monkfish

I recorded this about two weeks ago when playing around with my new Waldorf Microwave II. It's not quite finished yet, the mix needs some tweaking, especially the beats, but the arrangement is pretty much in place.

The Waldorf Microwave II is a very beautiful synthesizer indeed, I had owned a Microwave XT for several years (you can hear it all over the electronic stuff I did until 2005), I  have no idea why I sold it. For this piece I just recorded the unprocessed Waldorf sound, no internal or external effects or eq.

The bass (Epiphone EB-0) was tracked through a Summit Audio TD-100 Tube DI.

For the guitars I recorded two tracks per take, one clean through the TD-100, and another one through a Boss CE-1 (chorus), followed by a SansAmp GT2 and then a Boss RE-20 (space echo emulation). That way I can change the guitar sound later when I find it does not fit in the mix. For the moment, the mix is using the original sounds, though.

The Boss RE-20 does a decent job emulating the old Space Echo without all the hassle that comes with owning a machine that uses tape and has lots of moving parts. And it's way cheaper, but the unit is only borrowed anyway.

I'm currently researching other options for the tape delay effect, since I don't really like recording delays on guitars. My guitar playing sucks, and sometimes I have to quantize a few notes. And that does weird and unpleasant things to delays. I will write separate post on recording and processing guitars later...

The beats consist of two Impulse kits and a sampled shaker loop, with a bit of grain delay, compression and reverb on top. This will definitely require some more work.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen